Time blocking is the approach used in what’s known as the Pomodoro Technique.
Entrepreneur Francesco Cirillo came up with this time management technique in the late 1980s when he was a college student. Frustrated with that feeling that he was wasting time, Cirillo turned to his tomato-shaped timer for help.
Steps to Using Time Blocks with the Pomodoro Technique:
- Step 1 – Decide What Needs to be Done and the Time Needed
- Step 2 – Note Distractions Instead of Letting Them Derail You
- Step 3 – Start Your First Pomodoro
- Step 4 – Increase Downtime as You Complete More Pomodoros
- Step 5 – Track Progress and Estimate Effort
- Step 6 – Begin Building Timetables